Molecular Red

Dave Monroe against.the.dave at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 11:13:19 CDT 2015

Molecular Red: Theory for the Anthropocene

by McKenzie Wark

Radical new critical theory for the twenty-first century

In Molecular Red, McKenzie Wark creates philosophical tools for the
Anthropocene, our new planetary epoch, in which human and natural
forces are so entwined that the future of one determines that of the
other.

Wark explores the implications of Anthropocene through the story of
two empires, the Soviet and then the American. The fall of the former
prefigures that of the latter. From the ruins of these mighty
histories, Wark salvages ideas to help us picture what kind of worlds
collective labor might yet build. From the Russian revolution, Wark
unearths the work of Alexander Bogdanov—Lenin’s rival—as well as the
great Proletkult writer and engineer Andrey Platonov.

The Soviet experiment emerges from the past as an allegory for the new
organizational challenges of our time. From deep within the
Californian military-entertainment complex, Wark retrieves Donna
Haraway’s cyborg critique and science fiction writer Kim Stanley
Robinson’s Martian utopia as powerful resources for rethinking and
remaking the world that climate change has wrought. Molecular Red
proposes an alternative realism, where hope is found in what remains
and endures.

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1886-molecular-red

To compliment the publication of my book Molecular Red, I put together
The Molecular Red Reader, a free pdf of some previously untranslated
or hard to get texts that might help provide some context for
Anglophone readers.

Download the Molecular Red Reader here.

http://v.versobooks.com/Molecular_Red_Reader.pdf
-