BtZ42, p.17: sandbagged

Monte Davis montedavis49 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 20:58:39 CDT 2016

On the way into ACHTUNG:

"... a certain  desperate aura here. But Bloat, going in the sandbagged
entrance (provisional pyramids erected to gratify curious gods’ offspring
indeed), can’t feel a bit of it..."

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/men-resting-on-top-of-piles-of-sandbags-wwii-london-4-september-1939-picture-id102729664

Help me out with that parenthetical description. "Provisional," sure --
these aren't for the ages, just for the V-weapon Blitz 2.0. But what's
Egyptian about it? Who are the curious (and is that 'peculiar' or
'inquisitive'?) gods... let alone their offspring? What desire is being
gratified? And why that "indeed," as if this were reinforcement or
confirmation of something stated or questioned earlier?

I get an echo of p. 9, where the men crushing ice against the concrete
Jungfrau were "wasted gods urging on a tardy glacier." But it's a faint
echo, and doesn't help me understand this.