P-list archive 2.0

Monte Davis montedavis49 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 21:15:05 CDT 2016

What the p-list looks & feels like to me day to day is... gmail. To someone
else, Outlook, or Thunderbird, or...

I'm not talking about any change at all to the listserv front end, or about
replacing email with some "structured" wiki discussion tool, let alone
about <gahhh> policies. Talking ***only*** about making posts in the
archive easier to find (search) and discussions easier to follow (linkage
parsing and display).

e.g. I couldn't care less whether anyone posts in plain text or HTML, but
there is no upside for anyone to the drooling swathes of HTML tags in the
current HTML-unaware archive.

Likewise, if you're reading archived post B and the interface always allows
you to see (say) header and opening words of ancestor post A and descendant
posts C1,C2,C3... and to click readily to full text of any /all of them...
I see no upside to retaining (or at any rate displaying) all the old "On
April 4 John Bailey wrot..." auto-quoteback appends below.

I love the anarchy (except when I hate it (but neither wish nor would try
to change it.)) I'm well aware that most subscribers rarely if ever visit
the archive, and don't plan to proselytize its use should it become the
nifty accessible place I'd like it to be. Such an archive would be much
more useful to Pynchon students and scholars who aren't regular posters...

to new subscribers and lurkers who might like to sample and explore more
broadly than this month's flow...

and to those of us (very possibly a minority, and that's fine) who'd like
there to be something lasting and maybe even cumulative in all this.