BtZ42, p.21

Monte Davis montedavis49 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 09:08:05 CDT 2016

I love these lines because they could almost be from Catch-22 or From Here
to Eternity or any American WWII fiction or memoir. Servicemen and units
griping about being shuffled around without explanation, clueless upper
echelons, SOE not cooperating with ACHTUNG, etc. -- that's basic, meat &
potatoes stuff. But "MMPI" starts the slow unfolding.

There was some psychological testing for US recruits even in WWI. But the
Minnesota test, coming out in 1943, embodied state-of-the-art thinking
about not just psychology, but the sociology of organizations -- who had
the Right Stuff to be a leader or a good team player, who'd be likely to
resist authority, etc. It's implied that Slothrop has already taken it at
least once -- why again, he wonders? This could also fit the generic "aw
shit, more pointless paperwork" frame.

Yet while we're still absorbing Slothrop the Grousing Lieutenant who could
be in any WWII story, we also start to get Slothrop Whose Psyche is of
Special Interest, and Slothrop Sent Off to be Hospital Lab Rat, and
Slothrop as Cog for Wheels Within Wheels -- and everything will flow from
that.