Against the Day Prereqs

matthew cissell mccissell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 19:06:48 CDT 2016

Hi Smoke,

   If you don't mind a bit of intellectual history for backdrop I'd
recommend The Crisis of Reason: European Thought 1848-1914 by J.W. Burrow
and also The Age of Wonder by Richard Holmes.

  But that's just my two bits on one of the many angles to read from. A
P-lister by the name of Alice would tell us to check out the subject of
labor.

  I really enjoy how AtD links back up to so many Pynchonian themes or
events. After all it takes us back to V. but at the same time points
forward to his two later novels. I mean don't you think that Lew is a bit
like the keystone in an arch that connects both coasts and characters.
Early questers (e.g. pseudo-detective Oedipa on West Coast)  linked with
later genre gumshoe questers (Doc or Maxine)?

its late, gotta sleep.
ciao
mc