A Provocative Question

gary webb gwebb8686 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 19:14:12 CST 2016

Probably the most cogent analysis of the Election was Nate Silver's:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump

Regardless of which side of the Democratic party you happen to fall under,
Hillary or Anti-Hillary, it was still a very close election. Without MI,
WI, and PA Trump still won 260 electoral votes (Not to mention Maine).
Trump won by a 1% Margin in PA. Say MI and PA went to Hillary, all Trump
had to do was win WI. It is hard to say if Sanders would have fared better
in MI, WI, or PA. I would argue that even against Sanders the electorate,
especially in the electorally rich Rust Belt, were predisposed towards
Trump, simply because Bernie would be hampered by defending his
predecessor's legacy. This was a change election, much to our dismay. We
can argue that the Hillary campaign made mistakes, they did, polls after
all are not definitive. They do have a margin of error. Especially state
polls. But, we all made those errors election night, even the Trump camp
was pretty glum initially.