NP - Black Mirror Season 3

John Bailey sundayjb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 06:08:25 CDT 2016

I still haven't watched any Black Mirror (hold up, flagellants!) but Mark T
is right about Nathan Barley. I've never seen such a prescient piece of TV,
to the point where it's not that interesting now that the world it depicted
is ours. But for the few who caught its six crummily videoed episodes back
in the day it has a permanent haunt in some corner of the mind.

On 25 Oct 2016 2:20 pm, "Mark Thibodeau" <jerkyleboeuf at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Shut Up and Dance" is an absolutely devastating meditation on the use
> and abuse of shame by agents of radical transparency in an era of
> omnipresent technocratic surveillance. A jet black, synapse-scorching
> satirical masterpiece.
>
> Jerky
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 10:31 PM, David Morris <fqmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wow! Your take is WAY more than mine.  Yes. It is our Twylight Zone,
which
> > was always spotty. And TZ was usually best as a spoof, not as IMPORTANT.
> > The universal plastic surgery episode was an exception.  The "Nose Dive"
> > premier was a big riff on Facebook, Twitter, et al, ubiquity, extended
> > its rule of the world of commerce with a single ruler become law (a
dubious
> > premise, at best). Still, it worked, but was too long.
> >
> > David Morris
> >

> > On Monday, October 24, 2016, Mark Thibodeau <jerkyleboeuf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> You have got to be fucking kidding me.
> >>
> >> This series has included some of the most vital, successful, and I
> >> would (and will) argue IMPORTANT works of fiction produced so far in
> >> the 21st century. They will be milestones and touchstones by which
> >> future generations will mark, measure and compare all future works of
> >> socially aware speculative fiction, not unlike the way Twilight Zone
> >> informed so much that succeeded it.
> >>
> >> I mean, there's a reason why the contemporary Chinese intelligentsia
> >> have taken to it like no other Western product before
> >>
> >> Anybody else here have an opinion on Brooker's incredible series? And
> >> has anybody here other than myself seen his series Nathan Barley,
> >> which was equally groundbreaking? Unlike Black Mirror, which is
> >> heralded, Nathan Barley was ignored. I think mostly because it was a
> >> slashing expose of the kind of people who review such things for a
> >> living, but what do I know? I was only one of them at the time...
> >>
> >> yer old pal Jerky

All