Astrology

Keith McMullen keithsz at mac.com
Sat Aug 1 21:08:20 UTC 2020

“Oh, don’t I remember those, Lens-brother,— ’tis our Burden. Kepler said that Astrology is Astronomy’s wanton little sister, who goes out and sells herself that Astronomy may keep her Virtue,— surely we have all done the Covent Garden turn. As to the older Sister, how many Steps may she herself indeed already have taken into Compromise? for,

Be the Instrument brazen, or be it Fleshen, [Maskelyne sings, in a competent Tenor]

Star-Gazing’s ever a Whore’s profession,— (Isn’t it?)

Some in a Palace, all Marble and Brick,

Some behind Hedges for less than a kick, tell me

What’s it matter, The Stars will say, We’ve been ga-zing, back at ye, Many a Day,

And there’s nothing we haven’t seen

More than one way,

Sing Deny o deny o day . . . [Recitative]