Kracht (Re: Allegedly, Sorta P)

Kai Frederik Lorentzen lorentzen at hotmail.de
Sat Jul 18 10:29:55 UTC 2020

In terms of sales figures? No.

But regarding the artistic quality "Die Toten" (The Dead) is as good as
its predecessor. Scroll down for my review from September 2016. (Spoken
aside: On some days this place appears to be not a mailing list but a
chatroom with massive personnel turnover ...)

Since I hadn't read Mishima back then, let me add the following: There
are many references to this outstanding author in "The Dead". The very
first chapter gives us a kind of suicide snuff movie, more accurate: a
seppuku snuff movie, which of course refers to Mishima's ritual death on
11/25/70, of which footage exist. Then there's the peephole scene where
Nägeli secretly watches Ida & Amakasu having sex. This calls to mind a
very similar scene in "The Temple of Dawn" (which is the third volume
from the tetralogy "The Sea of Fertility"); it also, though to a lesser
degree since the situation is not equally comparable, reminds me of a
related setting in "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea". & the
scene where Amakasu is burning down his school seems, in the given
context, to evoke the arson at the end of "The Temple of the Golden
Pavilion". (I'm sure that I could name more references, if my Mishima
knowledge was better.) Actually the whole book can be seen as a
Mishima-esque meditation by an European author. B-but of course you
don't have to take this perspective. A Pynchonian angle of view will do
fine for the first read. Just give it a try!

Thinking about Kracht in Anglophonia, an unavoidable question arises:
Why are his first three novels - which belong together by style & of
which Kracht speaks as his "Triptych" - not available in English? Since
all three are pretty short (& since anglophone publishing houses tend to
print significantly more words on a page), Farrar, Strauss and Giroux
could publish them in one volume that would hardly have more than 300
pages. ~ Perhaps like this? C.K.: Triptych (The Early Novels). Faserland
- 1979 - I'll Be Here in Sunshine and in Shadow. Translated from the
German by Daniel Bowles ~ I mean, these books have been translated into
30 languages. & the quality of Kracht's early novels - "1979" is still
my favorite of all - is first-rate. Does anybody know anything about
this? (off is okay.)

Later this year a new Kracht novel will be published; no further details
are known.

"The long-haired graybeard is taken to and shown around a confusingly
large military base on the island of Guadalcanal, which was wrested away
from the Japanese. Wide-eyed, he sees everywhere friendly black GIs
whose teeth, quite unlike his own ruinously rotten heap of dental
wreckage, gleam with a secret, surreal luminosity; everyone appears so
extraordinarily clean, their hair parted and clothes pressed; he is
given a dark brown, sugary, rather tasty liquid to drink from a glass
bottle slightly tapered in the middle; sedulous fighter planes set down
on runways at minute intervals and take off again (the pilots smile,
waving, from glass cockpits, radiant in the sunlight); with an
expression of rapt attention, an officer holds a metal box with small
perforations to his ear, from which enigmatic, heavily rhythmic, but
still not at all unpleasant-sounding music emanates; the old man's hair
and beard are combed; an immaculately white cotton collarless camisole
is pulled over his head; he's given a wristwatch; they pat him gaily on
the back; this is now the imperium; he is served a type of sausage
brushed with garishly bright-colored sauce that lies in a bed of oblong
bread as soft as a down pillow, as a result of which Engelhardt, for the
first time in long over half a century, ingests a piece of animal flesh;
here, a soldier of German extraction (his parents simply forgot their
language of origin---it was totally assimilated PARS PRO TOTO into the E
PLURIBUS UNUM), one Lieutenant Kinnboot, in shirtsleeves, preparing with
patient affability to ask Engelhardt dozens of questions for a
newspaper, is mightily impressed when Engelhardt suddenly recalls the
English language---which of course has grown somewhat rusty over the
decades---and begins to speak, at first haltingly, then with increasing
vivacity, of the age before the world war, no, not the one favorably
just ended, but the one before that, even."

Imperium. A Fiction Of The South Seas, pp. 177-178