Was there talk of a BE read?

Mike Weaver mike.weaver at zen.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 21:33:51 UTC 2021

My return to the list (after a year of failed attempts to subscribe) was
partially driven by me currently reading BE. I'm only reading a few
pages a day, and will probably finish it in a week or 10 days, after
which I'd be quite happy to go through it again at a faster pace.

I did wonder whether a different approach might work, not a chapter by
chapter read but a discussion on particular aspects - the themes, the
range of characters, the take on the city...

Or how about a read based around the BE wiki? Discussions triggered by
group readings of the featured articles? Approach the book indirectly?

The chapter by chapter approach has the advantage of being accessible to
newcomers to the book, but returning to the list after a couple of years
away, what I see is a much reduced bunch of familiar male contributors
suggesting in the absence of anything new from Pynchon that the list may
have been reduced to its core all of whom will be familiar with the book.

Cheers
Mike