Not P but Moby-Dick (31)

Mike Jing gravitys.rainbow.cn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 20:30:54 UTC 2023

The original meaning of "gape" and "yawn" are basically the same. According
to the OED:

gape
1.a.i. To open the mouth wide, esp. in order to bite or swallow anything.
Said also of the mouth.

yawn
1. To open the mouth wide voluntarily, esp. in order to swallow or devour
something; in early use often, to have the mouth wide open; to gape. Said
also of the mouth.

Later on, they diverged and took on more specific meanings:

gape
3.a. to gape on or upon, now more commonly to gape at: to stare at with
open mouth, to gaze upon in curiosity or wonder.

yawn
4.a. To make involuntarily a prolonged inspiration with the mouth wide open
and the lower jaw much depressed, as from drowsiness or fatigue.

But also:

gape
6.a. To yawn, esp. from weariness.

So I think here "gaped", "open-mouthed", and "yawning" all mean basically
the same thing, which is closer to the original meaning than more
specifically due to drowsiness or fatigue.