WG: Re: Not P but Moby-Dick (16)

Hübschräuber huebschraeuber at protonmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:40:02 UTC 2023

"Swerve me? The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails,
whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the
rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush!
Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!”

The man surely is focused...

I agree that there is a larger general historical/philosophical meaning
here. I would not narrow it down to "economic forces of history". I
believe it is more about ideology (belief in a purpose of history,
restoring Eden, more generally a teleological view of the world) with
the economy only being one aspect. The "iron rails" in particular point
to the doctrine of Manifest Destiny. Clearly, this is the opposite of
Queequeg's world view, and it is not hard to tell where Melville's
sympathies lie.