Mike's right. An addiction is hard to break...METAPHOR REVEAL FROM SHADOW TICKET SO DELETE IF NECESSARY
J Tracy
brook7 at sover.net
Sat Oct 11 23:13:24 UTC 2025
Nobody declared the end of Pynchon.
Learn to read without imposing your simplistic binary ideas on others' words. Beside , I thought you stopped reading my posts, and yes it is obvious what posts you are referring to. Keep your story straight. Respectful debate is acceptable, honorable, but it is an option from which you always find a reason to excuse yourself. Straw dogs and insults are intellectually lazy.
> On Oct 11, 2025, at 7:50 AM, Mark Kohut <mark.kohut at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I still want to pretend Pynchon still matters on what is still the Plist
> despite the last two deep state hombres declaring the end of Pynchon.
> Pynchon is buried in the deep state now. "Come back, Shane"
>
> I've left off my comments about this, since I'm on leave from my own
> glossing, when I sent this to a larger group of friends or near-so, people
> who don't want me gone..;.yet...
>
> All I will say is this made the hair on the back of my neck stand
> up----Nabokov on feeling great writing, in this case one of the most
> brilliant metaphors
> from the guy who is still a genius....
>
>
> "Since about 1930,immigrants arriving at Ellis Island have been receiving
> boxes of Jell-O plus a Jell-O mold in the shape of some famous US
> landmark....This one they're handing Hicks happens to be the Statue of
> Liberty. Plus a handy kitchen-size pamphlet full of creative Jell-O
> recipes. "
>
> "So,I'm an immigrant now?"
>
> "Maybe not to the US as you know it.Maybe to the future US we in the Bureau
> expect to see before long." [ it is 1934 in the novel]
>
> .....and a sarcastically witty exchange as the Bureau guy defines the
> rights-lessness of the new immigrant...."....loyalty oath and so forth"
>
> "A Statue of Liberty made of Jell-O. Where do you start eating it? The
> head? The torch? "
> --
> Pynchon-L: https://waste.org/mailman/listinfo/pynchon-l
>
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list