NOT P but Vollman....

Mark Kohut mark.kohut at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 15:16:48 UTC 2026


I have read some of the smaller novels and reporting...Whores for
Gloria...his preterite explorations so to simplify....

And, do we all know he has recently been diagnosed with cancer....in
interviews he speaks of not having much time left...
bone, I think....(but someone I know personally has that so I may not have
gotten this right)

On Sat, Jul 11, 2026 at 11:11 AM rich <richard.romeo at gmail.com> wrote:

> he is sui generis, thats for sure. I've read all the Seven Dreams (5 have
> been published) history of north american peoples novels except for Argyll
> (written ala M&D in 16th century argot). The Rifles or the Ice Shirt are
> fairly short, you can start there. Fathers & Crows, The Dying Grass are
> massive, but worth reading, the latter imho being the best of the bunch.
> the other side of Vollman is his fascination with the demimonde of society
> (whores, etc.)--though of interest, I like the dreams novels much more.
> and of course, his voluminous non-fiction--climate change, a massive take
> on violence, etc.
> not everyone's cup of tea surely, but I'm glad there are risk takers out
> there like him.
> and a parting gift, a merger of his two strands noted above in this last
> work. not bad for the capstone.
>
> rich
>
>
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2026 at 4:00 AM Corbeau Castrum via Pynchon-l <
> pynchon-l at waste.org> wrote:
>
> > Not being very familiar with Vollmann, I came across this recent essay on
> > him and the latest novel, which I found to be very enjoyable:
> >
> https://bigreaderbadgrades.substack.com/p/we-always-leave-things-unfinished
> >
> >
> > On Wednesday, July 8th, 2026 at 20:03, Erik T. Burns <eburns at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > thanks for that, I had no idea LeClair had a blog, and it looks
> fantastic
> > >
> > > On Wed, Jul 8, 2026 at 6:52 PM Mark Kohut <mark.kohut at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> https://www.nytimes.com/2026/07/08/books/review/table-for-fortune-william-vollmann.html?unlocked_article_code=1.wFA.OUzs.Ns5Hd9pEybfu&smid=url-share
> > > > --
> > > > Pynchon-L: https://waste.org/mailman/listinfo/pynchon-l
> > > >
> > > --
> > > Pynchon-L: https://waste.org/mailman/listinfo/pynchon-l
> > >
> > --
> > Pynchon-L: https://waste.org/mailman/listinfo/pynchon-l
> >
> --
> Pynchon-L: https://waste.org/mailman/listinfo/pynchon-l
>


More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list