Re: So, this morning I got down a favorite book of poetry which I evidently
Mark Kohut
mark.kohut at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:46:15 UTC 2026
Thank you!
And there is a Vineland , New Jersey. And probably a Millville.
Cannot believe I found a reader who knew it.....the wonders of the
P--List.....
Unexpercted
On Mon, Jun 22, 2026 at 8:52 AM Morgan Sandquist <morgannels at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Great poem. I just went through it with a friend over the turn off this
> year.
>
> When Ammons wrote it, he was living in South Jersey and hadn't started at
> Cornell yet. Those are places near where he lived then.
>
> He wrote it from the fall of 1963 into the winter of 1964. He started it
> about two weeks after the Kennedy assassination, but never seems to refer
> to it. That strikes me as notable--it would be like starting a memoir in
> late September 2001 and not mentioning 9/11.
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2026, 08:00 <pynchon-l-request at waste.org> wrote:
>
> > Send Pynchon-l mailing list submissions to
> > pynchon-l at waste.org
> >
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> > https://waste.org/mailman/listinfo/pynchon-l
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> > pynchon-l-request at waste.org
> >
> > You can reach the person managing the list at
> > pynchon-l-owner at waste.org
> >
> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > than "Re: Contents of Pynchon-l digest..."
> >
> >
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> > 1. Fwd: So, this morning I got down a favorite book of poetry
> > which I evidently (Mark Kohut)
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2026 08:29:14 -0400
> > From: Mark Kohut <mark.kohut at gmail.com>
> > To: pynchon -l <pynchon-l at waste.org>
> > Subject: Fwd: So, this morning I got down a favorite book of poetry
> > which I evidently
> > Message-ID:
> > <CAD8KJ4EDhVE5ujtYAWAmGkVLgC_4-C4LWD4JD4EQRefiaiWW=
> > w at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> >
> > hadn't read again since Vineland was published....I did read it a few
> times
> > at the turn of the year when I was
> > younger.....
> >
> > It is called* Tape for the Turn of the Yea*r, by the great
> > Cornell-ensconced poet A.R. Ammons.
> > 1965.
> > He bought an adding machine tape because he thought he could write/type a
> > long, thin poem on it. He did.
> >
> > After some talk about unusual things, appearances by folks he met in
> public
> > he writes:
> >
> > p.22...
> > ,,..:"one night I saw
> > something come apart
> > over Vineland:it streaked in, glowed, &
> > Slowly tore apart:
> > I thought it was a
> > satellite
> > re-entering ...
> > ......................................
> > ...too big to land, as
> > I thought it wd
> > in Millville..."
> >
> >
> > There is no Vineland nor Millville anywhere near Ithaca so this would
> > seem to be a fine o'erreaching metaphor for Vineland being the whole USA
> > since
> > Millville's most famous town seems to be in the deep south....
> >
> > Pynchon has been partial to writers from Cornell all his life. He read
> and
> > blurbed ones
> > from friends he knew...Had to have known of Ammons and maybe read him
> > therefore....(besides
> > that he is very good) ?
> >
> > Mark, independent, lucky sometimes, unprovable "scholar" LOL....
> > .
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Subject: Digest Footer
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Pynchon-l mailing list
> > Pynchon-l at waste.org
> > https://waste.org/mailman/listinfo/pynchon-l
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > End of Pynchon-l Digest, Vol 101, Issue 21
> > ******************************************
> >
> --
> Pynchon-L: https://waste.org/mailman/listinfo/pynchon-l
>
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list