STetc ch 19 coupla more obs

Michael Bailey mi256118 at ucf.edu
Fri Sep 25 05:40:47 UTC 2026


There's an interesting section in which Pip and Alf inform Hicks about how "Greasy Thumb" Guzik gave Charles Dawes the idea for the Dawes Plan, on page 136-7.
I'm not sure this is canonical history, but the contiguity of Guzik hangout St Hubert's Chop House to the Union League Club where Dawes is on the Wikipedia list of "Notable Members" is.

There's a lot more stuff about Porfirio and Glow, mostly related by Porfirio to Hicks...
I tried to capture the essence of it whilst commenting on ch 20; perhaps ch 19 is a skosh more sympathetic to Porfirio - he seems to relish a little aggro betwixt himself & Glow (kind of like Hicks himself, who in an early chapter (I remember being told) liked the fact that when he fought with April, she really fought)

Porfirio: "The only thing I ever tried to give her once was a castle. In Spain. Well, twice in fact, first time it only embarrassed her, next time, I admit, was a terrible mistake. She may have laughed briefly yet scornfully...'How can you expect any woman to be stupid enough to fall for that? Even once? What kind of amateur do you take me for?' I thought it was a serious question. "A gifted amateur," I suggested. Not what she wanted to hear."


  *
Does he indeed own a Spanish castle, or was he fabulating?


Tangential Jimi Hendrix song ("Spanish Castle Magic")

https://youtu.be/8Hkr7Hcl7jg?si=gRNikd-r1BcWieQW


More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list