Film & TV

Dennis Giovanetti lib_gio at SIZZLE.YAVAPAI.CC.AZ.US
Thu Jul 20 14:46:55 CDT 1995

RE: Art, Film, and Pynchon
>What do we get in 1970?  The best I can remember are a bunch of
>"literature" inspired works like Altman's MASH (far from his best work),
>Fellini's Satyricon (visually stunning, intellectually shallow), Russell's
>Women in Love (poor Lawrence), The Owl & the Pussycat?, and, the best of
>the lot, Bertolucci's Conformist.  Slim Pickings.

1970? Add: Five Easy Pieces, Chabrol's This man must die, & Rohmer's My
night at Maud's.  (That's three off the top.)  BUT the difference b/n '50 &
'70 has a lot to do with the impact of television on film.  During the '50's
& early '60's TV was dismissed as a bastard child, all context to film's
content:  TV was regularly scheduled advertising; movies were vital, about
*something*.  On the other hand, if you watched TV, film became slow,
quirky, foreign (in language or content), and, unlike Sturgis, Ford, etc.,
didn't reach the large audience ready for TV entertainment, good or bad.
But, for a time, there was a division.  (Compare that to today's market, as
one shills for the other; where, in many cases, they are the same industry.)

        Gio