OKC bombing

Don.Lloyd 22323DGL at MSU.EDU
Tue May 2 13:17:00 CDT 1995

Andrew Dinn writes in response to earlier comments on the OKC
bombings:

"The handful of paranoids who take arguments about 'individual
responsibility' to this extreme are merely an epiphenomenon of a
much more pernicious disease."

Too true.  And we might consider the difference in P's works between
characters who choose to operate inside and outside of various
systems to effect change and how their motives and goals change
with various situations.  The ironies in the Whole Sad Affair are
certainly worthy of _GR_.  Consider:  In order to attack "The Govern-
ment" (ie--Them, the nameless, faceless powerful few), the bombers
attacked the edifice of government and killed numerous preterites;
presumably, as those who have "renounced" (supposition) US citizenship,
the bombers are acting "patriotically" to uphold the Ideals of the
Constitution, without, however, actually ever trying to change the
system from the inside and take part in the democratic governmental
process (which they are attacking on the charge it excludes them).
[What I have done here is to assign the rhetoric of the Michigan
Militia to those responsible for the bombings.]

On another note, don't be surprised when we feel shockwaves from
the blast in the cyberrealm as well.  Already those who are
threatened by the uncontrolled discourse of email, etc. are looking
for excusses to limit access and control what we say through this
medium.  The fact that bomb recipes can be found on numerous BBs
is just one more nail in our collective coffin.

D. Lloyd
MSU (Mighty Sad User; Mostly Sorry Universe)