Colors

Basileios Drolias b.drolias at ic.ac.uk
Wed May 3 02:54:07 CDT 1995

On Tue, 2 May 1995, Aaron Yeater wrote:

> i'd be curious to hear peoples' reactions to a rushdie-TRP
> comparison.  i think rushdie has more in common with tom p. than
> with, say, the magical realists of latin america--maybe it's the
> shared sense of humor about britain, a sort of mocking anglophilia...

a pynchon-rushdie comparison? ok I bite. I always found rushdie to be much
more structured than Pynchon. They both share a very cinematographic view
of their novels but I think Pynchon's is more paranoid (of course!) more
surreal more impossible (although I admit that falling off an exploding
jumpojet and surviving,is not that possible either). Mocking anglophilia?
Possibly only in Pynchon. Rushdie is too serious to mock britain (which he
admits that is now his country). His sense of humour for Britain is
extremely bitter, its the sense of humour of someone who knows Britain
from the inside too well. I also find Rushdie having a wider sociological
content in his novels, perhaps due to the fact that I am a person from a
third world country living in England.  Pynchon is too American for me. I
somehow feel though, that this is something out of which He is trying to
escape from too. Oh, and I think that Rushdie is a complete bastard, but
his "Midnight's children" is pardoning that minor flaw. I just hope that
TP hates Umberto Eco as much as SR!

There is a Far side cartoon, in which Salman Rushdie and Elvis are
sharing the same room. Maybe TP drops in from time to time as well.

Anyway the person that I thought that has to be compared with Pynchon, is
not Rushdie but Michael Ondaatje.  (I feel he is an offspring of direct
crossing between Rushdie and Pynchon.)

basil

Basileios Drolias 		| It's not enough for you to succeed,
Astrophysics 			| your colleagues must also fail.
Imperial College 		|      Johann Bernoulli