rushdie redux

Aaron Yeater AYEATER at ksgrsch.harvard.edu
Wed May 3 13:52:49 CDT 1995

> a pynchon-rushdie comparison? ok I bite. I always found rushdie to be much
> more structured than Pynchon. They both share a very cinematographic view
> of their novels but I think Pynchon's is more paranoid (of course!) more
> surreal more impossible (although I admit that falling off an exploding
> jumpojet and surviving,is not that possible either).
perhaps pynchon is more surreal, because his narrative tone is always
skeptical of things he describes which are 'unreal', whereas Rushdie
is less so, and more 'mythic', more accepting of 'unreality' and
someone like Marquez, who never blinks at 'magic' is truly 'mythic'
rather than surreal...
> I just hope that
>TP hates Umberto Eco as much as SR!
i suspect pynchon thinks bert is just pathetic (fiction-wise,
anyway)...

> There is a Far side cartoon, in which Salman Rushdie and Elvis are
> sharing the same room. Maybe TP drops in from time to time as well.
funny-in the collection of essays by SR in which he reviews Vineland,
he says that the hermit's life is all well and good for TRP, but he
should try it when he has no choice in the matter--its a striking
moment of self-exposure in a book review, and suggests perhaps part
of the connection between them--
"And my heart laughed: my name
a perfect snare, had trapped him."
      -The Odyssey, Book IX