(Fwd) Recurring characters

Bonnie Surfus (ENG) surfus at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Fri May 5 09:15:44 CDT 1995

Recurchar le femme.  V. is a character that finds expression in, I think,
all of Pynchon's work (the novels anyhow.)  Most of you are warm to the
V.-as-Goddess argument, and we've all noted the recurrence of V as part
of Pynchon's lexicography.  Many also might agree that language is
responsible for much of the degredation of Her power.  With this in mind,
it will be interesting to investigate the presence of "V" in Pynchon's
novels--both as a letter and a concept.  I'm sure this has been done, but
now I'm driven to look more closely myself.  so, thanks for this helpful
bit of curiosity.

Also, others I can think of that make more than one appearance:  Lardass
Levine in "The Small Rain" makes his way in somewhere else (not sure if I
can pin down one place or many.)  Pig Bodine is obvious.  He's there in
"Low-lands" and everywhere else.  Also, in "Low-lands," Dennis Flange
calls up "Wasp and Winsome," and I don't recall any other mention of
either, but Mafia Winsome makes her presence heard in _V._  I could add
the veiled presence of Roky Erikson, but that's so speculative and
contentious.  I think Meatball Mulligan is in more than one of the short
stories, possibly in the novels too.  Porpentine appears in "Under the
Rose," as well as in _V._  (and GR?)  Bongo-Shaftsbury is a lso there in
"Under the Rose," as well as in _V._  Same for Victoria Wren.  But this
last is all to obvious.  Lepsius too.

Hasn't someone done this in publication?  Does Weisenberger's text
illuminate?  I guess not specifically so.  Anyhow, hope this helps.

Bonnie Lenore Surfus
USF