condolences

Bonnie Surfus (ENG) surfus at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Fri May 5 21:57:47 CDT 1995

Someone sent their apologies concerning the passing of my professor.  I
forget who, but wanted to say "thanks."  You may have read some of his
work on Satire--Dr. John Clark.  He was hysterically funny and a rigorous
scholar.  We used to sit in his class and remark that he must have read
every book ever writtten.  He was one of those.  To him, everything is
satire.  He changed the way I read books, in no small way.  For him,
Dostoevsky was a cut-up.  He used to defer often to the phrase "and so on
and so forth," which is used often by the underground man and then by
many contemporary writers in various configurations (Vonnegut, Beckett,
etc.)  Not to bore you, I'll sign off.  Just thought that if you did know
of Dr. Clark, maybe you'd like to raise a glass with us, in simpatico
remembrance (does that make sense?)  Anyhow.

Bonnie