V. as a recurring character

Heikki Raudaskoski hraudask at sun3.oulu.fi
Mon May 8 07:36:04 CDT 1995

On Mon, 8 May 1995, David Fullagar wrote:
> I think this is a reference to the page between the contents and
> chapter one (of the Picador, Pan Books, London, 1975 edition) that has
> the following:
>
>                         \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
>
>                           \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
>
>                             \/\/\/\/\/\/\/
>
>                               \/\/\/\/\/
>
>                                \/\/\/\/
>
>                                 \/\/\/
>
>                                  \/\/
>
>                                   \/ o
>
> printed on it.  (Each "\/" is really just a "V", but I can't get the
> centering right with just a "V", and the "o" is a period.)
>
> I noticed this wasn't in the US paperback that a friend was reading.
>
> -- Dave

As far as I can remember, also the 1963 hardcover edition that I saw in
one of the municipal libraries of Helsinki (no, I did not steal it) has
got those small v's forming a big V on one of the first pages. (That's
how I started reading _V._ in the first place: one summer in the 80s I
worked as stevedore in Helsinki port. It was casual work. Sometimes you
had 16-hour working days, loading and unloading sacks of 100-150 lbs etc.
But quite as often: nothing. When I did not have the energy to roam
around Helsinki (and life in Helsinki during the summer can be quite
exciting for (at least) young people; the winter is the opposite) I went
to the library. It was there that I came across this terrific novel,
which attracted me instantaneously, not the least because of all those
sailors, ports, that coastal life.)

Heikki