V. as a recurring character

LOT64 at aol.com LOT64 at aol.com
Mon May 8 20:54:46 CDT 1995

You know , I was thinking about this pictograph of the V made up of smaller
V's.  I realize it is a visual icon for the entire novel, and a warning for
literary critics.  The novel is one large V made up of, or containing many
smaller V's.  We search for V but are we finding one of the smaller V's that
make up the one larger (true?) V.  Or are all the small V's necessary to
constitute the large one.  Are we being sidetracked by a small component V
that is blinding us to the larger picture?  Are we missing the forest for the
vees?

On a lighter note, Heikki writes of discovering V while working as a
longshoreman in Helsinki.  I lost my first copy of Gravity's Rainbow while
working as a lonshoreman in the port of San Francisco.  I was  unloading
coffee sacks and it fell in between four large pallets.  They were so heavy,
it was impossible to retrieve. Maybe you found it while unloading a freighter
in Finland?  Let me know, it was a first edition.  I don't know where the
ship was bound for, but I hope whoever found it when they unloaded
appreciated it.

                                            Ron Churgin