Please cc V. Lombari

SGSMOOT sgsmoot at pwinet.upj.com
Tue May 9 09:01:37 CDT 1995

>Does the reference to a familar song within a piece of fiction help you
>to situate yourself in time and space within the story, or is it an
>annoyance? (For example, anyone who has read Pynchon's Vineland can
>easily recall the effects of such popular culture flowing forth from
>nearly every page.)

         The _post_ modern uses popular culture as reference because the
         classical allusions so beloved of earlier ages of writing are largely
         lost. The high-modern poets were still dragging Ariadne and Dido,
         Theseus and Aeneas into their work at regular intervals. With the
         virtual disappearance of the "classical education," only individuals
         with a penchant for allusion will understand oblique references to any
         but the commonest of classical images. (my unstated goal in grad school
         was to be able to read "The Waste Land" without looking _up_ the
         footnotes... looking _at_ I can handle, but when the footnote is still
         greek . . . it's a problem)

         "Postmodern" references to current culture can work both to place a
         work in time, and, unfortunately, to distance readers from the work and
         those references. Pynchon is an _excellent_ example: _Gravity's
         Rainbow_'s wealth of references to wartime England added a certain
         texture to the novel for this humble reader, but I (American born and
         raised, 1957 to the present day) didn't react to the references as I
         did to those in _Vineland_. The latter novel's references were
         accessible to me - there is a difficult-to-identify significance to
         driving a Camaro, listening to this or that popsong on the radio.
         Similar signifiers in _GR_ "float" rather farther below the surface,
         since my exposure to 1944-45 England is primarily limited to Hollywood
         movies.

         The use of classical allusions made earlier literatures accessible to
         anyone with an appropriate educational background, no matter their
         nationality or culture. References in postmodern lit. are both more and
         less available - more available to those for whom the allusions
         resonate, less available to people "outside" the culture.