Kenosha, Fractals . . .

Circ Staff bakcirc at nslsilus.org
Tue May 16 14:08:49 CDT 1995

	I want to suggest -- hesitantly, deferentially -- that in recent
discussions of the Kenosha Kid and the fractal structure of GRAVITY'S
RAINBOW we are imputing to Pynchon a consciousness of his effects
that he does not, much of the time, possess.
	In the introduction to SLOW LEARNER, does he not specifically
repuditate the practice of writing fiction merely to embody ideas?  I see
Pynchon as an instinctive writer, albeit a hugely learned one.
	Even instinctive writers, of course, cannot help HAVING ideas,
but this is quite a different matter from coding Mandelbrot into one's
work.

				Andrew Walser
				Arlington Heights, IL