What Pynchon Knew

OUTRSPACIA at aol.com OUTRSPACIA at aol.com
Sat May 27 09:41:08 CDT 1995

Bonnie said:

"no matter how much we want to critique, we are an
organizing species and this is what we do."

What we do is give meaning. We organize. And as disorganized as GR might seem
on the surface, it too is an attempt at organizing a world. Not strictly the
world of WWII, but our world, with all its unknowns.

It maybe be a good thing for us wallowing readers that Pynchon wrote GR in
early 70's, with WWII as its setting. Today, the world might be too big,
paranoia might be too great, corporations might be too pervasive to tackle.

Maybe that's why Vineland seems like such a smaller book. -- Or maybe I just
haven't give it it's due. Anxious to see what's next.