Paranoia......

Ted Samsel tejas at infi.net
Wed May 17 06:01:44 CDT 1995

> Mat Jacobson wrote:
>
> >Our interpretations of experience, and texts, are "stencilized" by our own
> >viewpoints, informational patterns, etc.  What we "see" exists because we
> >see it, not because, necessarily, someone intended to put it there.
>

> Not necessarily indeed, but what we "see" may still exist because someone
> intended to put it there.  Of course each and every one of us "reads" a
> different text each and every time we pick up GR....  But this denial of
> artistic intention can go too far.  The genesis of some of the most
> startling artistic effects can be pure accident, but the artist recognized
> these effects at some point during the creative process and left them in the
> work, (intentionally, if you want).
>
> And contra some earlier posts, I think the historical period in which GR is
> set is not arbitrary.  As McHale and others have stated, the Zone is a
> wondrous PostModernSpace; as somebody whose father was a child DP from 1940
> onwards, there is of course no doubt  that the Zone is also a real
> historical space to which Pynchon the artist is attracted for a variety of
> reasons, and personally, I'm mighty glad he was....

    The historical "Zone" also exists in Micheal Ondaatje's novel THE
ENGLISH PATIENT, but with more of a Tuscan painterly ambiance. This
painterly ambiance (but of other artistic styles) permeates the films of
Peter Greenaway.

Ted Samsel....tejas at infi.net.com/bh419 at freenet-in-a.cwru.edu...
     "driving a Hudson Hornet on the information superhighway"