What Pynchon Knew

Bonnie Surfus (ENG) surfus at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Wed May 17 15:13:36 CDT 1995

> On Tue, 16 May 1995 grnmt at sover.net wrote:
>

> > What Pynchon knew or didn't know when he wrote the text, and what he meant
> > by it seem highly irrelevant to interpreting the novel.
>

> Agreed - and some of the traffic of late regarding fractals, Mandelbrot, and
> chaos theory has puzzled me. I'm no mathemetician (not even sure I can spell
> it) but _GR_'s publication date would seem incompatible with an _intended_
> connection with chaos theory, no? Or am _I_ out of date?

It was 1967 when Mandelbrot published his essay "How Long is the
Coastline of Britain?" which was influential and actually a trajectory
that seem to have lead to the popularization of chaos and its systematic
study.  His ideas were known (even if he was considered a bit freakish)
even earlier--as early as 1960, anyway.  But studies of these kind
pre-date Mandelbrot.  But I'm tired of defending what is really an
observation that requires such rigorous attention just now.  I'd
recommend reading Hayles' _The Cosmic Web:  Scientific Field Models and
20th C. Literary Strategies_, or Paul Davies' _The New Physics_, if
you're interested in a more comprehensive crash-course.  Sorry I can't be
more helpful/.

Bonnie