What Pynchon Knew

Mascaro at humnet.ucla.edu Mascaro at humnet.ucla.edu
Wed May 17 15:00:21 CDT 1995

Bonnie,

I've been ill and away for more than a week from my messages, so I'm just
skimming here along, fragmentarily following this GR and fractals
discussion, i.e. not reading all the posts sequentially.  Threrefore,
there's an even greater than usual chance that I'm about to discover how
easily my foot fits into my mouth, but--(1) doesn't GR predate Mandelbrot's
"discovery" of fractals by about 5 years? (or is this just wrong,
factually--it does predate his first book on the subject I'm pretty sure, by
about that long); (2) whether or not it does, doesn't it seem to be in an
altogether different--paradigm--from what emerged in late 70s early 80s as
chaos theory writ large?  As you know from our previous exchange, I see the
frqactal/chaos paradigm as informing every phase of Vineland, but I can't
but put GR into what can be called a "classical" quantum indeterminacy
paradigm.  I acknowledge for my own stubborn binary patterns of thought (GR
is X; Vineland is Y), and apolgize for using "paradigm" so often in this
note.

John Mascaro

p.s. If you all have answered these very questions recently, forgive my
redundancies, and point me towards the truth.