What Pynchon Knew

SGSMOOT sgsmoot at pwinet.upj.com
Thu May 18 09:30:14 CDT 1995

>> But I'm tired of defending what is really an observation that requires
such rigorous attention just now.  I'd recommend reading Hayles' _The
Cosmic Web:  Scientific Field Models and 20th C. Literary Strategies_, or
Paul Davies' _The New Physics_, if you're interested in a more
comprehensive crash-course.  Sorry I can't be more helpful/.

Bonnie<<

Whoops - I didn't mean to attack (and that's why I'm keeping this response off
the list) - my awareness of chaos theory concepts and fractal geometry dates
from the early '80s when it started to show up in computer-modelling debates. I
supposed I could have asked more diplomatically... but you told me what I wanted
to know. Pynchon certainly _could_ have been aware of Mandelbrot's concepts,
indeed, probably _was_. I may look into the Hayles - thanks.