Etymology of Jamf

Bonnie Surfus (ENG) surfus at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Sat May 20 21:38:15 CDT 1995

On Sat, 20 May 1995, Steven Weisenburger wrote:

> I'm with those who appreciate the hard etymological stuff on JAMF.  Like
> lots of readers I'd heard it was underworld slang for a "jive-ass
> mother-fucker," but, throughout the long stretch when I was working up
> entries for the GRAVITY'S RAINBOW COMPANION, I'd never been able to pin
> that hearsay down.  This does it, and the tie-in w/ Pynchon's sax god,
> Charlie Parker, is double-sweet.  Many thanks.

I forget who had the info on Charlie Parker's "LAMF."  It should probably
find its way onto the Pomona Pynchon Page.  In a FAQ, or perhaps in some
broad categorical hypertextual link that describes Pynchon's anagrams.
In fact, it might be fun, with permission, to submit our thoughts on
various anagrams (at least in GR) for the Pynchon Page.  What do you
(all) think?

Also, Mr. Weisenberger, I wonder, how often do you update or revise the
Companion?  It is a wonderous work and I am always honored to see you
chiming in here.

Bonnie Lenore Surfus
USF