Newt, Systems, etc......

Jan KLIMKOWSKI Jan.Klimkowski at bbc.co.uk
Wed May 24 15:17:00 CDT 1995

At last, the P-List blazes.....

For what it's worth, I would like to suggest that at the root of all this is
a disagreement as to nothing less than, shock, horror, THE REAL WORLD
CONSEQUENCES OF CONTEMPORARY LITCRIT.

I am very grateful to Pynchon academics for providing me with a greater
understanding of Pynchon's artistic techniques, the quality and originality
of his historical references, his erudition.  To everyone from McHale to
Hite to Tololyan (and the list really is endless) - a great bit THANK YOU.

But.............

When I first read Gravity's Rainbow - during an insomniac four days back in
my late teens - I read the work of a revolutionary poet - in style, form and
politics.  A dozen cover-to-cover reads later (two of them backwards), and I
have seen nothing to challenge this opinion.

Pynchon has tremendous fun with Systems, including the System that is the
Counterforce, but that doesn't mean that he's neutral.  As Jeffrey says,
these "opposing forces" are NOT equal, that's one of Their lies.

I have read Bonnie's ideas with fascination and gratitude.  It is courageous
to post ideas in the making to a group of peers and contemporaries, and I
for one very much hope that the P-list will continue to be a place where new
approaches and aspects of TRP can be discussed. There are so many people
here with so much to contribute.   I think Bonnie has suffered though in
part because for those of us for whom Pynchon is, first and foremost, a poet
of revolution, many of the tenets of contemporary litcrit have worrying
consequences.

I have difficulty here in even finding a language to talk about Thomas
Pynchon, the man, who wrote 760 pages during the years of grease and
passage, and his political intentions, and not sliding into the hole of
unrealiable unrealiable narrators and deathbirthdeath of the author
miasmas....

Thomas Pynchon is political.  It isn't a Resistance, it's a War.  But
Pynchon is also an unbelievably gifted artist, and a very sophisticated
thinker.

Best wishes to all

jan

PS Newt's intellectual roots are complex, and he has a curious range of fans
out there, including many from the libertarian wing of 60s American
hippiedom...