Pirate

LARSSON at vax1.mankato.msus.edu LARSSON at vax1.mankato.msus.edu
Thu May 25 15:31:45 CDT 1995

Nigel writes:
"BTW, I think anagrams are a bit of a blind alley. Although Pirate Prentice
is an anagram of "Preterite Panic", of course."

I'm sure you know the name is a steal (one of several) from Gilbert & Sullivan,
in this case THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE, in which a nurse made a fatal mistake
by apprenticing her young charge not to a *pilot* but to a *pirate* (she
being hard of hearing).  Hence, he's a "Pirate 'Prentice".

This has relevance to GR in a larger way, though.  The nurse, like the hare of
Herero myth, misunderstood or forgot her message.  Communications entropy
triumphs again.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)