The Texas Tornado & the Glen Cove Cyclone

Bonnie Surfus (ENG) surfus at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Fri May 26 14:05:19 CDT 1995

On Thu, 25 May 1995 LOT64 at aol.com wrote:

> A reprint from the Pynchon Home page talks about the album CATCH UP WITH THE
> BLUES as a source for the Johnny Copeland quote at the start of VINELAND.
>  Checking out the cd I notced that it was recorded in April and May of '93.
>  VINELAND was published in 1990.
>
> Anyone know of any earlier recorded sources for this tune (EVERY DOG'S GOT
> HIS DAY)?  did TP know it from live performances or are there any other
> earlier recordings.
>
>                                          Ron Churgin

I've had some thoughts about this, especially working with the Roky
Erickson thing.  Check out his "Two Headed Dog (Red Temple Prayer)",
"It's a Cold Night for Alligators," and "White Faces."  There are others.

I still haven't developed that paper past a playful journalistic piece.
If you'd like to read it I could post it here.  I'm not sure if I WANT to
do anything with it.  It has a kind of mystical place in my thoughts.

Bonnie