Finnegans Wake

Jake Martin MARTIN at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue May 30 16:37:12 CDT 1995

Hmmm.  Just to make things more complicated, why does it seem that
these "circular" fictions, which in theory could, I suppose, consist
of no more than one or two sentences (or fragments, or words), tend
to be so bloody long (vis. Finnegans Wake, GR, Powers' Goldbug
Variations).  Is it just that we muscular pynchon-l subscribers favor
the extended (or, selon Medelson, "encyclopedic") text? (If I don't
need a forklift, it ain't worth pickin' up.)  Borges' "Circular
Ruins" is effectively circular, but not in sense that we seem to be
requiring. (//)