Cheuse Views

J Porter jp4321 at IDT.NET
Mon Apr 28 04:14:00 CDT 1997

Jimmy,
I don't have a transcription and memory is imperfect. But I clearly remember my feelings listening to Cheuse's sonorous voice on All Things Considered as I road home from work- It really felt like he had an agenda that included ambushing Pynchon.

I admit that I have always been a defender of Vineland-
See for example me v. Steely on that subject last year in the archives- But even highly literate critics of Vineland, such as Steely, will be quick to acknowledge the genius of V. and GR- even as they pan Vineland.
>From what I remember of the tone of Cheues's review, the failure of Vineland to live up to expectations was an indication that Pynchon was not a genius. I remember him Specifically using the term "genius" in a derogatory way-What could that have meant? but that those of so moved by V. and GR were misguided, or had been taken in. Clearly he had an anti-Pynchon agenda going into the reirew. Which is fine, but my inability to respond- and I would have loved to- was so annoying!

Being a veteran of the initial release of GR, and the storm of controversy that surrounded it, made me both defensive and aware that there was a whole sector of professional critics who found Pynchon offensive and seemed unwilling to give his work a chance with "the publik" before attempting to snuff it out.

Cheuse's Vineland review had that partisan feel.

And the p-list didn't exist (or I wasn't aware of it) back then-so there was no way to vent .

jody