Augustan dogs

andrew at cee.hw.ac.uk andrew at cee.hw.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 16:24:00 CDT 1997

Niall Martin writes:
> Adam, are you pulling my leg, or does Boswell's father really refer to "the
> learned english dog"? If you're not, and he does, then I have a couple of
> other questions:

No info re what is in the original manuscript but I looked up Dog and
Dogs in the index (I just happen, funnily enough, to be reading
Boswell's Life right now and so had it handy in my rucksack) and found
an interesting reference to Dogs being eaten in China. And now that I
remember it does not Nabokov have some allusion to Johnson (or is it
Pope) re a dog called Hodge, where he has the great man (whichever of
the two it is) recalling how certain dogs were rounded up and killed
and stating `No Sir, Hodge shall not be shot' or some such. Is the LED
wrapped up in some C18th/20th literary triangle between Pynch, his old
tutor and Uncle Sam? (beats being wrapped in a Palm leaf, anyway).

Andrew Dinn