Heikki luft axe god

Heikki Raudaskoski hraudask at sun3.oulu.fi
Fri Aug 1 13:28:39 CDT 1997

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Charles F. Albert wrote:

[snip]

>All are invited to the "air-guitar
>world championships", now in its second year and hosted by the town
>of Oulu in northern Finland on Aug. 29.
>Pretenders to world mastery in the art, which is practised by
>aspiring rock stars everywhere, may take the stage with or without
>background music - but they are not allowed to play a real instrument.
>"It's the choreography that makes a good air-guitarist," organizer
>Pekka Puusti said. Top prize is a Fender Stratocaster guitar.

>Geez heikki ANYTHING but "The Final Countdown", perhaps a little
>Yngwie Malmsteen, or better yet, some Bach.

Well, now you know why I'm crossing the herring pond on Aug 25. Will
hit Oulu on the 26th, then have three days to overcome jet lag.
Actually I have had in mind something by the Wilko Johnson of mid-70s
-- "She Does It Right", perhaps? -- I saw him with Dr Feelgood on the
*very Oulu stage* in 1976. Plectrumless Wilko's fingers were
blastered 3-4 times during the gig. And as my fingers are much more
fragile than Wilko's, I'm a bit terrified about what will happen.

"Pekka Puusti" is just the organizer's real name. When touring with
Mieskuoro Huutajat, Men's Choir The Shouters, my tenor ex-brother's
nom de guerre is Kullervo Klemetti: middle name + mother's maiden name.

Juhani Karilahti, ex-bass