MDMD(5)----Chap 15 Questions

Eric Alan Weinstein E.A.Weinstein at qmw.ac.uk
Sat Aug 2 11:25:01 CDT 1997

MDMD(5)----QUESTIONS

Chap 15

158.7  "The attraction of Mountains" If anyone could explain to a
mostly (very) lay audience how gravitational mass could
in theory have altered the Plumb-lines? Although I take it
that the particular Plumb-line was faulty anyway.

160.7  "Two distinct nations, in a state of mutual mistrust,
within ten Miles compass"  Just thinking of  how close
together were Washington D.C. and Richmond Virginia,
the two capitals of the US Civil War. Perhaps than an
allusion to more than St Helena?

161.14  "The French? Three of their Men o’War,
only the year before last, station’d themselves out there
"
I have a theory that we may be able to give a date
to Dieter the Ghost. He tells us that this event happened
two years prior---to his ghostly life or his earthly one?
And where is the Bay of All Saints? If  we find  record
of this event, assuming it is real, we  may be able to figure
 out how long Deiter has been dead. Might be ghoulishly
 good fun for someone.

162.1`Shuja-ud-Duala, the Nabob-Wazir of Oudh'  An Bengali
historical figure, but More specific Details? (see also notes)

162.10 `Sobald das Geld in Kasten Klingt, [. . . ] Die Selle aus dem
Fegefeur springt' (roughly) As soon as the money clatters in the
chest, the soul jumps out of Purgatory. Is this a quote from some
source? Does it match a favoured bit of German light Opera?
Or a popular rhyme?

162.15  "Levy Money" I take it that it was once possible to buy
yourself into or out of a military commission and that many
took commissions to pay off debts or escape creditors. Does
anyone know a bit more of this practice? More generally,
what was the relationship between the military forces of the
BEIC and the British Government proper? How was it
organised, how independent was the BEIC,  and when and why
did these arrangements come to an end?

164.11  "
the radiant Deity to go dim forever"
Problems of faith and problems of Reason here. Are we
looking at the Protestant God or at the deity of Newtonian
Science? Knowing Mason’s personality and something
of his convictions, prejudices and fears,-- what do we think
these episodes disrupt, catalyse, project, reform,-- within
his view of himself and his world?

164.15 "He understands early that she must come, that
something is important enough to risk frightening him
too much, driving him further from the world than he
has already gone." Yes but what is it? It doesn’t seem
to me that she has much to tell. Harold Bloom
and Chris Karatnysky may be disappointed. Are you?
Or am I wrong, and miss the message? (Perhaps something
to do with the Earth, God and Gender? See also Opening
Comments.)

164.25  "
an Obs Suit patch’d together from local sources,
whose colours in the Gloom are mercifully obscur’d"
Looking at Maskelyne’s clothing I remember the
clothing of our ladies of the night, and the insistent
identification of Astronomy/Astrology with prostitution.
Yet Mason is often seen in plain (if formal) dress.
Any Obs by ye? Also, per’aps a running gag on
Obs Suits/Space Suits?

164.27  "down into the floor of a ruin’d ebony forest,
where among fog-wisps and ancient black logging debris
polish’d by the Wind, she accosts him shiv’ring in his
Cloak." A strange and turbulent bower Anyone able to
do a take on the mythological and  literary significance of
such a place, and its function(s) in Gothic or Romantic
tales?

165.21  "There is a Countryside in my Thoughts
"
A description of peace or perhaps of heaven. He and
Rebekah are in love, they "each recognized the other,--"
 Poor boy, he loses his breath.
A little insight into Mason to take away from this?

165.32 "Dixon, carefully, keeping back as far as he can get,
stretches an arm and places his hand on Mason’s
shoulder." I think this sentence can be read productively as
a metaphor for the kind of relationship and friendship Mason
and Dixon are able to share. Would anyone like to discuss
this brief scene at the chapter’s end?

Eric Alan Weinstein
University of London
E.A.Weinstein at qmw.ac.uk