F-sharp minor

Paul Murphy paul.murphy at utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 4 11:55:51 CDT 1997

Eric Weinstein writes:

>172.10  "Music in F-sharp minor" What are the famous pieces
>in F sharp minor? Is this key associated with anything in particular?

There was some discussion of this in May -- I just did a quick check in the
archives, and a thread under the cryptic subject header 're: M&D p 172
spoiler question' brought up some traditional associations and named some
pieces written in this key.
At the time, I quoted some liner-notes which seemed helpful; allow me to
re-quote them:
"The dominant of 'suffering' B minor, F sharp minor was traditionally
associated with painful or extra-ordinary experience ... Bach uses it for
Peter's agonizing aria of remorse in the St. John Passion; Couperin allots
it to his Convalescent."
Another list member mentioned Haydn's Farewell Symphony, which might have
some resonance in this context.

Regards,
Paul