MDMD[5] p. 155 (Clocks amd Time)

Christine Karatnytsky christinekaratnytsky at juno.com
Tue Aug 5 12:48:28 CDT 1997

Quoth barleybog from a good post currently under discussion:
[snip]
 >M & D is saturated with historical accuracy, and yet history is given a
>subtle patina of the surreal.

Apropos of this, and my (and Origenes) concurrent reading of Moby-Dick,
remember that the passage and perceptions of Time in M-D is similarly
funked up, where it is either presented realistically, or compressed, or
distended.  I am thinking of the land-time, sea-time, and chase-time of
Ishmael's and the Pequod's travels, mostly--being ignorant of philosophy,
I can't comment on Eric's mention of Heidegger.  Well, except to point
out the obvious, that if Time is in the service of Being, then it would
seem in M-D as well as MD, that the internal (gnostic, Mr. Bloom?)
voyages of Disclosure and Revelation undertaken at the time of the outer
voyages of Discovery fall into another powerful axis.

Anyway, the dramatic action of the whale hunt becomes quite surreal...

Chris

Apropos of this, and my (and Origenes) concurrent reading of Moby-Dick,
remember that the passage of Time is similarly funked up in M-D, being
either presented realisitically, or compressed, or distended.  I am
thinking of the land-time, sea-time, and chase-time of Ishmael's and the
Pequod's travels, mostly.  Being ignorant of philosophy, I can't comment
on Eric's mention of Heidegger.  Well, except to say that if Time is in
the service of Being, then it would seem that in M-D as well as MD, then
the internal voyages of discovery undertaken at the the time of the outer
voyages of adventure  )  The dramatic action of the climactic whale hunt
becomes quite surreal...

itching for things remote,
Chris