Postflanneryism

Bill Millard millard at cuadmin.cis.columbia.edu
Tue Aug 5 09:27:33 CDT 1997

Jody Porter, a few days back, posted something that gladdens the
hearts of at least four people (one of whom, back from assorted
travels and delighted to see this among his massive influx of mail,
is y'r ob'd't bassist):

> ...I stumbled through the door of Flannery's, and beheld a dive of
> sublime perfection. There, at the far end of a not quite narrow
> room several ambiences long, set klieged against a brick bandshell,
> wailed The Shanghai Love Motel. That was Bill Millard, I assumed,
> with an enormous electric bass, centered and singing lead, flanked
> on either side by Messrs "Stratocaster and Les Paul," and anchored
> by the beat of a flailing drummer. They were rockin'! ...

Muchas gracias, for this & lots more.  Glad you could make it -- and
hats off again to Chris for convening the NYPL-istas, all of whom
brought plenty of noise 'n' enthusiasm, powerfully appreciated by
all of us Shanghaiers.  Wish I could have spent a bit more of the
evening hanging with the Pynhead posse (one does get spread a bit
thin on the night of a gig).

B.t.w., I've been around basses too long to have a layman's sense of
proportion about this: does a plain ol' Rickenbacker really look
"enormous"?

Considering adding that Glass Armonica to a couple of our
arrangements,
Bill
Bill Millard
Editor, 21stC magazine, Columbia University
millard at cuadmin.cis.columbia.edu
212/854-9474
http://www.21stC.org
Bass, vocals, and songwriting, Shanghai Love Motel
http://www.columbia.edu/~wbm1/slm.html