M&D truthtelling, history & I.F. Stone

Sojourner sojourner at vt.edu
Fri Aug 15 12:09:39 CDT 1997

At 12:54 PM 8/15/97 -0400, Steven Maas (CUTR) wrote:

>Sojourner wrote:
>>I respect and admire and value people who. . .listen more than they hear.
>
>Simple mistake, or Freudian slip?  *You* be the judge.

No mistake.

Lis"ten (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Listened (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Listening.]
[OE. listnen, listen, lustnen,
lusten, AS. hlystan; akin to hlyst hearing, OS. hlust, Icel. hlusta to
listen, hlust ear, AS. hlosnian to wait in suspense,
OHG. hlosēn to listen, Gr. , and E. loud. &root;41. See Loud, and cf.
List to listen.]

1. To give close attention with the purpose of hearing; to give ear; to
hearken; to attend.

     When we have occasion to listen, and give a more particular attention
to same sound, the tympanum is
     drawn to a more than ordinary tension. Holder.

Hear (), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Heard (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Hearing.] [OE.
heren, AS,. hiéran, hran, hran;
akin to OS. hrian, OFries. hera, hora, D. hooren, OHG. hren, G. hören,
Icel. heyra, Sw: höra, Dan. hore, Goth.
hausjan, and perh. to Gr. , E. acoustic. Cf. Hark, Hearken.]

1. To perceive by the ear; to apprehend or take cognizance of by the ear;
as, to hear sounds; to hear a voice; to
hear one call.

     Lay thine ear close to the ground, and list if thou canst hear the
tread of travelers.