TV vs. Reading et al

Steven Maas (CUTR) maas at cutr.eng.usf.edu
Mon Aug 18 09:56:17 CDT 1997

Andrew D. included the following in his discussion of the problems of
money in TV:

> TV is a broadcast medium which means that people can only
> watch what is showing as it is broadcast and then only according to a
> schedule devised by the programmers, usually in the same environment
> (the home), usually alone or with immediate relations and often
> accompanying their day-to-day tasks. This dictates more than anything
> else the way people use (almost have to use) TV i.e. passively,
> serially, without critical discussion and fitting their other
> activities around it.

I think most of Andrew's arguments are right on target, but his comments
about our lack of control over the schedule may be overstated. This
particular criticism was definitely true when I was a kid in the 60s, and
well into the 70s, but VCRs have allowed a major change (for those with
access to VCRs, obviously; a very high percentage of viewers, at least in
the USA).  In my own case probably 75 percent of the little bit of TV I
watch is taped, which allows both time-shifting and (the bane of those who
control TV) commercial-zapping.

	Steve Maas