TV vs. Reading et al

Eric Alan Weinstein E.A.Weinstein at qmw.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 12:16:59 CDT 1997

>I think most of Andrew's arguments are right on target, but his comments
>about our lack of control over the schedule may be overstated. This
>particular criticism was definitely true when I was a kid in the 60s, and
>well into the 70s, but VCRs have allowed a major change (for those with
>access to VCRs, obviously; a very high percentage of viewers, at least in
>the USA).  In my own case probably 75 percent of the little bit of TV I
>watch is taped, which allows both time-shifting and (the bane of those who
>control TV) commercial-zapping.
>
>	Steve Maas

Iknow, I know, but---I have 36 cable channels and 5 terrestrial ones,
but it s just reruns of the same US/UK stuff (okay at midnight the odd
Indian film and in the afternoons an Austrailian soap---but thats it!).
I would love to see something different. How about a west Indian
sitcom? Or a Dutch drama? A Japanese documentary? A French newscast?
A Korean love story! Any Canadian programme that is not "Street Legal"?
What of any Irish show, or New Zeleland? Why not?  We could have
tv from more than half a dozen other contries which wouldn't even
require dubbing---and I wouldn't mind a bit of dubbing!

But wait---I understand that the UK is to get another 150 (!) digital channels
starting next year. Will any of them be any different? I doubt it. But I
will be able to watch Mr Ed and Green Acres five times a day, not just
once! As long as this remains the case, I'm keeping a book or two by
my bedside and leaving my tellys in the sitting room and spare room.

With a new copy of Larry's Party by Carol Shields waiting at my bedside,

Eric
Eric Alan Weinstein
University of London
E.A.Weinstein at qmw.ac.uk