Pynchon 1st Editions

Paul Mackin mackin at allware.com
Sat Aug 23 17:44:41 CDT 1997

Alanballow at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-08-22 18:00:54 EDT, Bruce_Appelbaum at chemsystems.com
> (Bruce Appelbaum) writes:
>
> <<   They also had a 1st of the Viking Compass GR paperback for $50, but no
>       hc GR.
>       >>
>    Wasn't that the ONLY 1st of GR?  I bought one new and don't recall a
> hardback GR.

No, both paper and hardcover were labelled 'first edition' and were
identical except for the cover. In my area (Washington DC) the
papercover was available slightly earlier so I bought it. Drat.

This was an unheard of publishing procedure at the time and
everyone wondered at it. I think I assumed it was some sort of
move to get good reading matter in the hands of the inpecunious.

			P.