Pynchon genius

Bruce Appelbaum Bruce_Appelbaum at chemsystems.com
Thu Aug 28 11:32:50 CDT 1997

     Whether TRP is a genius or not (the MacArthur grant seems to give
     credence to the positive), there is no reason to worship him.  The
     fact that he keeps to himself probably indicates that he doesn't want
     to be worshipped anyway!

     Yes, he's tremendously clever at painting images with words, with
     associations and referential writing.  This is all part of why I enjoy
     (and struggle with) his work.  It took me 20 years to make it through
     GR, and I'm in the middle of another attempt.  Actually it wasn't
     until I joined the p-list that I was able to make it all the way
     through in a single reading.  It will probably take me a few years to
     get through M&D.  But every attempt shows me something new that I
     missed before and this makes the struggle worth it to me.  His
     writings are like onions, layer upon layer upon layer.

     As to the "great writer" paradigm, TRP doesn't present the persona of
     a Hemingway, a Fitzgerald, a Mailer, a Rushdie.  He doesn't present
     himself at all!  A former college "friend" who was very active on this
     list not too long ago, along with his assorted girlfriends, offspring
     and ex-significant others, promised to give us the low-down on TRP,
     but who knows how accurate this presentation was?  Does it matter?

     I don't think I want to be TRP's friend.  I'm not sure I would even
     want to meet him.  I think I might be disappointed.  I'm certainly not
     his footsoldier, nor do I think that most people on the p-list would
     consider themselves in that role.  And I certainly don't worship him.

     I think we're all here because we have a common interest in his
     writings.  Some of us have a morbid curiousity about his private life.
     There are no unseen forces.  While there seem to be more
     "personalities" on this list than on most, the dynamic of this list is
     not too different from some of the other lists that I subscribe to.

     I for one am not guided by "forces unseen" (as long as you ignore my
     earlier post today concerning placing aluminum foil in my hat to block
     out radio signals from outer space).  I enjoy TRP's work, I enjoy and
     learn from the comments and notes posted here.  I enjoy the sense of
     <virtual> community.

     As to "the world beating a path to his door," well, most people don't
     even know where that door is (although if you examine the photo from
     the UK newspaper that Jester had posted on his website for a while,
     you can pin it down to a single city block).  And if you managed to
     locate the door, don't expect the doorman to let you through.