Pynchon genius

Paul Mackin mackin at allware.com
Thu Aug 28 15:42:04 CDT 1997

Henry wrote:

> I've always found the sheer bravura of meta and encyclo fict to
> scream "Just watch me now!" (db) By its very nature, it is
> writer/self concious and and adverstisement for the writer (see NM's
> "Adverstisements for Myself").

This is definitely on the right track of what was bothering me.
The need for a subject, to reassure that a battle for our minds is being
waged. Don't we need SOMEONE to contest with, someone outside the text,
to say you are full of shit to, if by some chance we should happen to
so believe. But yes, there is still the problem that the signal comes to
us THROUGH the text, so that it is all ONLY interpretation. Dern and
dang.

I must learn to break free.

Thanks to Henry, Gregg and Bruce and all who take the time
to comiserate. (doubling the correct consonants is left as as exercise
for the reader as I can't remember :-))

			P.