MDMD(7) Questions - Misc.

Steven Maas (CUTR) maas at cutr.eng.usf.edu
Fri Aug 29 15:45:56 CDT 1997

> 209.12 `his Age, how merciless' This phrase has a religious
> swing to it, like `his grace, how infinite' or some such. Is this
> meant to signify?

I think it means only the obvious, that Bradley is old and may be dead or
incapacitated when they return.  That style of phraseology is used other
places in the book as well although examples escape me at present.  Maybe
it was not an uncommon usage then?

> 219.15`The moral lesson in this [. . .] being,-- Don't
> Die'  Any comments on how this moral is arrived at?

Maybe simply because if you die, your mysteries will be "open to anyone's
curiosity."  "Moral lesson" seems redundant--maybe Emerson (or P.) is
playing ironically on different meanings of moral.

See you all (virtually speaking) in a couple of weeks--I'm outta here.

	Steve Maas